2010-08-23

The Message

For the past couple years I've been working (sporadically) on a project to be able to produce a high-quality aligned parallel Bible in all languages for which there's a freely-available translation. What sets this project apart from others is that any language pairs can be chosen, and a nicely-typeset book is automatically generated. Here are the languages that I currently have:
  1. Afrikaans
  2. Albanian
  3. Arabic
  4. Chinese (simplified)
  5. Chinese (traditional)
  6. Croatian
  7. Czech (2 translations)
  8. Danish
  9. Dutch
  10. English (4 translations: KJV, ASV, WEB, and BBE)
  11. Esperanto
  12. Estonian
  13. Finnish
  14. French
  15. German
  16. Greek (LXX, TR, and WH)
  17. Hebrew (BHS, WLC, and modern)
  18. Hungarian
  19. Italian (2 translations)
  20. Latin
  21. Lithuanian
  22. Norwegian
  23. Portuguese
  24. Romanian
  25. Russian
  26. Spanish
  27. Swedish
  28. Syriac (NT)
  29. Turkish
  30. Ukrainian
This gives over 400 possible pairings. Adding additional languages or translations is pretty easy.
Below is a sample text. The printed version is not highlighted like the images below.






If you try to read any of the above text samples, you'll receive the gift of knowledge.
(but don't give it away)



Update: I'm delighted that several of you have made an effort to decipher the message.  Here's another sample that might help out:






Second Update:  Some of you have mentioned that the above languages are difficult.  So I'm adding another  pair of languages that are considerably easier to decipher:



:-P

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh? Could you enlighten me in English please? MOM

Carrie Nation said...

I figured out what verses you used. I guess that's a start for figuring out what knowledge we're supposed to find.

The texts look very beautiful, btw. Too bad none of them are in the roman script.

Frau Magister said...

Thank goodness Matt remembers enough of his Russian to decipher it.

Also, which German translation?

linus said...

Latin script (and especially English) would have been too easy :-)

FM: I went with the Luther (1912), but I can easily add the Luther (1514), the Schlachter (1951), or the Elberfelder (1871 or 1905).

Thora said...

Good thing Avram knows Hebrew on sight better than I do!

Frau Magister said...

I can't help but notice that Neo-Melanesian hasn't made the list yet.

linus said...

Ahhh, Neo-Melanesian -- such a great language. Anytime I read something in Bislama (or its sister language Neo-Melanesian/Tok Pisin), it brightens my day.

I need to post a blog article about how awesome that language is.

Sadly, no digital version.

The Old Cowboy said...

Neo-Melanesian??? Why not Klingon?

Equinox said...

"Here's another sample that might help out." Just how is adding two more unrecognizable languages to the other four I found incomprehensible going to help me any? And people complain about understanding Isaiah.

That said, I commend you for having such a mind that understands such things, including languages and translations that I have never heard of. (LOLCats is particularly enjoyable, by the way, and would make a very fun code language. Thanks for that reference.)

Klingon, indeed. Sadly, with my experience with the internet, it would probably translate that one faster than it did some of these other ones when der Meister was trying to decipher this message. Though I would hope that's not so.

REC said...

It's all Greek to me.

linus said...

Just how is adding two more unrecognizable languages to the other four I found incomprehensible going to help me any?

You watch out or I'll add another language pair ;-)

Speaking of Klingon, I just came across this article: How the Washington Shakespeare Company came to offer Shakespeare in Klingon.

Now. You've. Seen. Everything.

linus said...

There's a second update to the post, now.

The Old Cowboy said...

To quote Dylan Thomas "Easy for Leonardo, maybe."

Anonymous said...

:-P indeed.

REC said...

Do you do Parseltongue?